East campus served as Trinity College's original campus when the school
relocated to Durham in 1892. The campus was redesigned in 1925 for the new
Duke University to have Georgian-style architecture, by Horace Trumbauer
and Julian Abele, the same architects who designed the Gothic-style West
campus. East campus served as the Women's College from 1930 to 1972.
The campus now houses all first-year students, and includes facilities such
as the Museum
of Art, baldwin auditorium, Lilly Library,
and the Keith and Brenda Brodie Recreation Center, opened in 1996.